MY DOG SKOOTER

Friday, August 14, 2009

Skooter was a Labrador retriever that loved to chase cats and rabbits. It was seldom successful in its pursuits but once in a while it cornered one of its furry friends. When this happened, Scooter just turned and walked away leaving the little animal to escape for a future chase.

At about 8:30 one evening, I heard a scratch on the door. I opened it and there stood Skooter with a white, dead rabbit in its mouth. I had never seen my dog chase a white rabbit before. Taking the bundle of fur from Scooter's mouth, I looked closer and saw that it was my next door neighbor's pet rabbit, Snowball. Its fur was dirty and messy. I was frantic. I thought, "What should I do? How can I explain to my neighbor that my dog had killed his favorite pet? Boy, will he be upset with me!" Snowball was always kept in its hutch in the neighbor's back yard. My neighbor, John, and I were good friends.

Then, an idea came to me. I know what I'll do. I took the dead rabbit into the bathroom and made a mixture of shampoo and water to wash the rabbit's fur. I thoroughly rinsed the fur with water and dried it off with a towel. This was followed with the use of a blow dryer. Wow, when I finished, it looked good. It was dead, but it looked good.

My plan was to wait until later in the night. At midnight, I took Snowball and snuck into my neighbor's back yard and put Snowball back into its hutch. After getting back home, I felt confident that all would be well.

At about 7:30 the next morning, my doorbell rang. I opened the door and there was my neighbor. He looked bewildered. I asked him, "What's up?"

John said, "Have you seen any weird people around this neighborhood lately?"

I said, "No! Why?"

He said, "Well, yesterday, Snowball died and I buried it in the back yard."

I thought, "Oh, oh, confession time."

It always pays to be honest.

0 comments: